Friday, October 9, 2009

Handmade Birthday #2

October is a happy month at our house with three birthdays. I've been trying to make some handmade gifts and decorations for each one. Here's this week's installment for my husband Brent's birthday. This is the birthday name banner I made out of the covers and illustrations of some 1950s/60s era Reader's Digest Condensed books, ribbon, and binder clips.
Here's a close-up.
I also sewed this lunch bag for B and stenciled it with my frying pan and this awesome slogan inspired by this Yee Haw Industries sign on etsy. It's made out of plain and mossy oak canvas.
I also made B his own unhipster hoodie with the antique canning jar. There's a funny shadow in this picture for some reason. Sorry about that.
And then there was the food. For dinner we had our favorite Chicken Pot Pie with Corn and Bacon with a side of Bacon Popcorn. The popcorn was so amazing B made me promise to only allow ourselves to eat it once a year. Could be a dangerous habit.

And for dessert, I invented the Old-fashioned Donut Cake with Apple Cider Caramel sauce. I took a recipe for Sugar Donut Muffins (muffins that are dipped in butter and sugar and cinnamon) and added apple cider caramel sauce from a recipe in the October issue of Family Fun. Yum!
Also for a special breakfast treat I made brioche (from the Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day book) and made it into cinnamon-pecan rolls.

No comments: